Online Therapy | How it Works
Disclosure: Some of the links below may be affiliate links, meaning we will receive compensation if you click through and book an appointment with our partner. We are independently owned and vet our partners thoroughly.
Given today’s technology, online medical treatment of every kind—including counseling—is becoming more commonplace. For online therapy, Fearapy partners with BetterHelp, the world’s largest e-counseling platform. The process works like regular in-person counseling, except you are meeting with the therapist online.
Click here to schedule an appointment with BetterHelp, or see below for more information.
Online Therapy FAQ
- Why do you partner with BetterHelp?
- After interviewing a number of potential partners, we were simply the most impressed with BetterHelp’s commitment to helping clients. We also appreciated the time the staff took to explain their platform to us and what they look for in partners and clients, as well as ongoing communication about how we can work together to connect people to the help they need. We value our audience’s trust and only recommend resources we trust and respect.
- What is the process for getting started with online therapy?
- Better Help has a very streamlined process. You simply click on “get started” and you are walked through a series of questions (gender, age, issues/concerns) to help them match you with a therapist that’s a good fit. It also screens whether or not they are able to provide services. Note: if you are suicidal it is recommended that you see someone immediately in person or go to an emergency room. It then leads you to a page to create your private account and move forward with setting up services.
- How much do the sessions cost?
- Counseling on BetterHelp is based on a flat membership fee that covers both the use of the platform and unlimited counseling. Your payment will be the same regardless of the number of messages and sessions you have with your counselor. This way you can communicate with your counselor as often as you like and whenever you need, and you never need to worry before getting help.
- While face-to-face counseling can cost $150 to $250 for a single session, the cost of counseling through BetterHelp ranges from only $35 to $70 USD per week for unlimited access to your counselor.
- Is online therapy covered by insurance?
- In some instances, your insurance could reimburse the cost. However, many insurances only cover face-to-face video conferencing using HIPAA compliant video services. They often do not cover emails, chats, or phone calls between you and your therapist. Better help offers unlimited contact for a flat fee–something you can’t get with office visits with a therapist.
- Also note: If you have an insurance plan with a high deductible, you can expect to pay nearly half using Better Help than you would billing sessions to your insurance Even insurance plans with a simple copay per session is comparable to better health costs.
- In many cases, before you can get reimbursed by your insurance company, your therapist would have to diagnose you with a mental disorder or issue. This diagnosis would be sent to the insurance company and recorded in your medical file. In some cases, the therapist would also have to provide additional clinical information to the insurance company, such as treatment plans, summaries or copies of the entire record.
- How often do I meet with a counselor?
- How often you meet with your counselor depends on your own individual needs & the treatment plan that your counselor recommends.
- How do I communicate with my counselor?
- Counselors are available through live chat, exchanged messages, video conferencing, and phone calls. The means you use to communicate are completely up to you & what your therapist recommends.